Hospital Part 1 – The E.R.

I just want to thank everyone that has helped out and kept me so busy that it’s taken me this long to finally get caught up on posts.  I wouldn’t want to ever do it again, but if I had to, it’s great to know who’s there with me!

So…  I went to the hospital.

On Friday March 2, I finally had my appointment with my new primary doctor.  I figured this was just going to be a routine check up.  Formality to get me in the system.  MJ didn’t even bother coming to this appointment because we didn’t figure it would be necessary.
Dr. Walter started the appointment just as I thought by going over everything that has happened over the last couple of months.  Then she started asking me about current symptoms.  I told her how my belly had really started swelling and I was getting more and more uncomfortable.  And how I was starting to have a lot of trouble eating.
She decided to do an exam on me.  Felt around my belly and ordered an x-ray that they were able to do in the next room.  After about a 20 minute wait she showed me x-rays and explained the best she could how everything was pretty much not where it was supposed to be.  My intestines were pushed to the outsides from the tumors and blockage which was pushing everything else around.
Then as calmly as can be she said I needed to make arrangements to go to the hospital because I was going to need surgery.   Whaaa  whaaat???  I mean, I was just at Kaiser 2 days before and explained all of the same symptoms to that doc and she didn’t even feel my belly.  Just said it was part of the symptoms of the cancer.  Timing seemed to be perfect in saving me from something truly horrible I think.  Thank God for that move to Sharp.

I called MJ and went home to pack a bag.  I don’t think the enormity of it was really hitting me or I just didn’t know what to expect. I can’t really remember what was going through my head at the time other than making sure I had all the chargers I needed for the computer, iPad and phones.  Priorities, ya know.

Got to the ER and we waited about 10 minutes before seeing someone.  TEN MINUTES.  That, was awesome.  And I think total we waited for 45 min before they had a bed for me.  Yes, in the ER.  Now, we were still there for hours while they were getting tests and figuring out what to do, but the room was private and nice and it made the experience very tolerable if not pleasant.
OK, well, I know what really made the experience pleasant for me and that was my first experience with getting a shot of Dilaudid.   Whhheeeee!  That was fun.  Not gonna lie.
Kinda like doing a backflip in bed without having to move.

I’m pretty sure MJ took this pic not too long afterwards.

Once I was comfortable I started to realize just how sick I had become at home over the previous few days.  I had been feeling worse gradually, so I had no idea how bad it all was and I was so grateful to my new primary for sending me in.

After hours of testing they decided I was going to need surgery, but not immediately.  They offered to send me home with meds to manage over the weekend and meet with the surgeon on Monday.  After noticing how sick I had become at home I decided we would be better off being managed there and they admitted me.  That turned out to be a great decision as well since we met with the surgeon the next morning and was scheduled for surgery Sunday afternoon.
After all of the waiting at Kaiser this was such a relief to be getting something done.

Stay tunned for part 2…

2 thoughts on “Hospital Part 1 – The E.R.

  1. So great to hear the update from you…and so happy that all went well and you’re back home. You’re a trooper! Good that you have such a great support group.

  2. Wow Heather! I am so glad that you went to go see a new doctor. I am glad that you have a great support system let me or Andy know if you or your family need help with something. Thank you for keeping us informed. I am praying for you and I know you will fight this!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s